August 23, 2011

Child's Play

When I moved out of the house, my mom handed me a few old things that she kept while I was growing up. It included some of my old notebooks, my first pair of shoes, and a few of my paintings done in school. I was 5 years old  and making something out of nothing was a natural process. It's true what Picasso said that "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."

Color Splat on Oslo Paper
Landscape on Manila Paper
Rain on Manila Paper
Now that I'm all grown up, looking at these paintings make me happy because it connects me to the most natural part of myself. It reminds me that starting has it's own pure yet lasting beauty. I'm so thankful that my mom kept these to remind me how important it is to keep on trying. Maybe it's also to remind me what courage looks like. If my five year old-self can do it, my 30 year old self can try harder. I reckon it's child's play.

No comments:

Post a Comment